It was quite a chilly day on May 25th, but that didn’t stop the neighbors from coming out to the 2nd Annual Safe Summer Kick Off at Evelyn Davis Park. If you weren’t one of the lucky ones to come out that day, you missed out but here are some highlights.
– The Des Moines Parks Department provided games and pony rides for the kids in the area as part of their regular programming.
– With food for 200, we still managed to run out at the end of the night. Thanks to Master Griller Rick Singleton.
– Representatives from the Police Department, Community Ambassador Program, Des Moines Parks and Rec, County Supervisor Angela Connolly, State Representative AKO Abdul-Samad, and Mayor Frank Cownie all showed up to discuss the importance of community and what they are doing to keep Des Moines safe.
– The Des Moines Police Department Mounted Unit came by with their horses to amaze both the young and old. Those horses are quite impressive.
– The 2010 Granny Basketball Champs went head to head with the 2010-11 East High Scarlett Girls Basketball State Champs. The twist was they had to play by Granny rules: no running, jumping, and little dribbling. It was a well fought game, but the Scarletts squeaked out a win in the end.
Look forward to more fun events in the park, like the upcoming Juneteenth Neighbor Day, National Night Out, and the Fall Festival. Evelyn Davis Park is a wonderful park, and we have to remind the neighborhood, Des Moines, and those that would abuse and destroy it that it belongs everyone.