Growing season is near! The Empowerment Gardens are preparing for a season of learning and growing. We will host a series of 6 gardening workshops beginning March 5 through April 9, 2011 from 9-10:30am at Mt. Hebron Baptist Church, located at 1339 9th St. (on the corner of 9th and Forest).
The topics will cover the basics of understanding soil to planting vegetable gardens. These workshops are ideal for beginning gardeners. Instructing the classes is Mark White, Polk County Extension Master Gardener.
To empower individuals to cultivate themselves and the neighborhood through gardening and landscaping
• Increase the availability of affordable healthy fresh food in the community
• Educate the community about healthy fresh foods.
• Increase resident leadership and participation in neighborhood projects and activities
• Improve community pride and perception
• Create opportunity for residents to share their talents and get to know one another
The garden site is located on the northeast corner of 13th and College. There are 8×8 and 8×4 plot sizes available. The initial focus of this garden is to serve King-Irving and Mondamin Presidential neighborhood residents.
To volunteer or sign up for a plot contact Alecia Kates at 515-419-6801 or firstname.lastname@example.org